Saturday, January 30, 2016

Online Watercolor Card Class

Hi guys!

Are you taking the current online card class? It's Watercolor For Card Makers Intermediate Techniques and it has been fabulous! The instructor is Dawn Woleslagle - owner of WPlus9 and she is an amazing watercolor artist. I've admired her talent for a long time and couldn't wait to learn more from her through this class. 

If you're not taking the class, you can sign up anytime right here. Believe me when I say, all the online card classes are wonderful but this one has been my fave for sure! 

There have been 3 days of lessons from Dawn, chocked full of valuable information, tips on how to gain success with your water coloring, tons of videos and of course Dawn's gorgeous paintings! Then there were also 3 more days of guest artists, sharing their interpretations of Dawn's lessons, through videos and instruction. Well worth the price of class!

Okay, so I started out scared to death to even attempt any painting but with Dawn's encouragement, I gave it a try and I ended up really liking most of my creations.

Here's a few of my homework pieces.

This was from the first day of class. Just trying to paint little flowers. Actually pretty easy to do. 


This one is for day 3. We learned how adding negative painting can really help define an image. Such s cool technique!


This is from day 3 too, when we also learned about "lifting" color. The larger flower is a stamped image but I hand painted the two smaller ones. Buds are my favorite to do. Smaller is definitely easier! 


Here's one for day 5's homework. I went with the buds again and created a sweet, simple card. 


Then came day 6. Yikes, was I ever scared to try this! It's my take on one of the guest artists. Her name is Swarup Murthy (Sanketi) and she is so talented! I loved one of her paintings from class! There are so many areas on this one that, if you look closely, are not very good, but I went with it and kept playing. In the end, I don't think it's half bad! 

I've learned a ton from this class. Mostly that I need to be patient when I'm water coloring - ha! But I also learned how the shape of brushes can work to your advantage, how to know when you have too much water or pigment on your brush and what colors to mix so you get many different shades of the same color. I also learned that practice is the BIGGEST thing, not to compare yourself to others and so much more! If you love the look of watercolors and want to learn more, I highly recommend this class!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you're all having a wonderful Weekend! ♥
 

25 comments:

Greta said...

I'm not taking the class, but from my perspective you get an A, Barb! That last card is just stunning!

Betty said...

wow Barb - you are an A+ student - fantastic cards - love that negative butterfly technique card!!!

Karen B. said...

Oh wow, are all of these EVER so gorgeous!!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Amazing watercolor projects, Barb! You're great at this art form!!

Lin said...

These are wonderful, Barb - I can see you improving with each one. ADORE the blue one!

TK said...

Beautiful cards! I love that they're all flowers... I have to finish the other classes before I get to this one - haha!

Doris W. said...

Your blue card is breathtaking! You captured that technique perfectly.

Lynn said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! You are absolutely rocking this card Barb. Every single card is amazing! I'm so impressed!

Barb said...

Beautiful job, Barb. I'm taking it ,too. It is fabulous. Dawn put such thought into her lessons and I love her narrative and encouragement. I'll be going back to the videos over and over again.

Kraftychick said...

Barb, I'm so inspired by your work - I've been wanting to play around with watercoloring and your examples are just fantastic! TFS!

Nancy said...

Barb, your cards are just gorgeous! I am loving this class too!

Cat Craig said...

Barb, these are all fabulous. They all look effortless and like perfect little pieces of ART.

I am taking the class and it does require lots of practice for me. I am so in AWE of the beauty you have created here. Hope you keep playing with this medium, you do it very very very well.

maria f. said...

Yay for you Barb! You certainly look like you are learning a lot from that amazing class and your projects are fabulous. I love that negative painting.

Barb Ghig said...

Oh my gosh, Barb...you have really done an AMAZING job on your creations! Every one of you cards is just beautiful, and I'm so impressed!!!
I'm also taking this class, but didn't have much time to play this past week...and, you're right about practice...I need A LOT more before I can feel confident about some of the techniques! I also need some new (good) brushes and paints ~ Gorgeous cards, Barb!!!

Martha said...

WOW...WOW...Barb, what BEAUTIFUL works-of-art you've created. Flowers always make me smile. These beauties will certainly brighten the recipient's day.
Beautifully done! ♥

judkajudi said...

Your work is amazing! I still haven't done the homework from the Copic class I took .. and practice is the key!

Cindy C. said...

I am not taking it, but it seems like I should!! Your watercolour projects are wonderful Barb!! All so beautifully painted.

Ger said...

WOW Barb! Love every one of these! Ger x

Dawn T said...

Beautifully done. I have been too scared to try anything yet. Love all your cards. I think I need to take some time to just play.

Vicki Finger said...

You have done so well. I'm not having this much success, but I sure admire thos eof you who do.

Virginia L. said...

Our low Canadian dollar put me on a budget (boo)...love love love your class samples! You are one creative and talented watercolorist, Barb!

Tracey McNeely said...

These are just beautiful Barb, you really did amazing things with this class!

Robin Cooper said...

You are rocking this class!!!! Beautiful cards! I love watching you grow. I hope that I can grow to at least where you are right now!!

walchowDesign said...

OMG! All these are absolutely fabulous - you are a pro on watercolour technique, Barb! My fav is definitely the last card - now my question is "How did you do that?" Thank you so much for sharing all your lovely work with us!

Unknown said...

WooHoo!!! Awesome projects, Barb! Such fabulous results using those amazing techniques taught in class!!!! Love them all!