Friday, August 30, 2013

Art Journal Page #3

Hi there!

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend! We finally had a less humid day today - been in the mid to high 90's for about a week with dew points in the 70's - very oppressive but I still think it's better than cold and snow. I have been really enjoying my week off from work and just finished another page in my art journal.

For this one, I knew I wanted to use my fave color combo - pink and green, along with some flowers but, as usual, I had no idea where it would take me. I can't tell you how happy it makes me when it all starts to come together! 


It all started by covering the double page with Tim Holtz Tissue Wrap. Then I had to really let go for this one. After mixing some white embossing paste with a pink Gelato and using that with a flower stencil from Prima, I decided they were not prominent enough and didn't really look like flowers. So I doodled around each one with a black, Zig marker. I added the centers also, and had such fun just doing it without worrying about making it perfect!

Here's a close-up:


I did the leaves the same way, but used a green Gelato mixed with the embossing paste. I also created my own stencil for the leaves by using a Martha Stewart punch and a sheet of acetate. They ended up too dark for my liking so I lightened them up by rubbing a thin amount of Gesso over them with my finger. :)

All the black flowers, hearts and words are from a sheet of old rub-ons I've had forever! They were perfect to finish off my page!


The row of pink hearts is also a stencil I created by using another Martha Stewart punch and an acetate sheet, but this time I just used Spun Sugar Distress Paint. Then I again doodled around each one.



I'm so happy with the way this one turned out and I can't wait to create my next page!

As always, I appreciate you stopping by! :)

28 comments:

Greta said...

Wow--you've left me speechless, Barb! This is so wonderful!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Barb,
Good on you for taking the initiative to highlight your flowers with a marker, adding some White will also lift an image and make it pop, this is a great page and I know exactly how you feel when a creation all comes together....Big Smiles all round.
Smiles:)
Sue

Dawn T said...

Just amazing Barb, Your journal is really coming along. I started one... first page coloured but no inspiration to go further yet, Love this page of yours,

Virginia L. said...

You are doing AWESOME with the art journal. So glad that you are having fun! The depth and textures and colors are beautiful!

joy said...

Love your journal spread, Barb! The pinks and greens are so soft and pretty and I like your doodling.

Jacqueline said...

I'm so surprised to see this - you do this SO WELL, Barb! It's beautiful!!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Great job!

judkajudi said...

I love how this page expresses YOU! Your favorite colors, flowers, ... just lovely! I may have to get involved with this art journaling thing!

Lynn said...

Barb,amazing! I especially love the sentiment. Your style is beautiful.

Froggietalks said...

Another lovely page Barb!

Nat said...

georgeous!! :) love all the details and doodling. :)

Lin said...

You had me at the hearts ....... Just love what you're doing, Barb!

Barb Ghig said...

Thanks for sharing the details of your process with us, Barb! Your journal is looking really FAB! I love all of your pretty flowers and colors, and how you're playing with different mediums...very cool!!!

Anonymous said...

ACK! This is soooooooo cool and beautiful! So many techniques and it all came together beautifully. Thanks for sharing so many pictures so we can see all the detail. Love it! XOXOX

Brenda said...

I'm loving your Art Journaling Barb, it's really turning out beautifully! Love those little flowers and I think the black doodling works really well to make them stand out! I also have some of that TH tissue paper but am so afraid to use it in case I totally ruin it! Silly isn't! Did you just glue it on with Gel Medium underneath and on top? Hugs, Bren xx

Nancy K said...

oh my goodness, how amazing is this journal page? i love the color and your design, Barb! you are giving me so much inspiration, now i just need some time to follow your lead!

Rachel said...

this is really somethin amazing. i love how we can see all the hidden layers you included in the background. gorgeous!
-Rachel w k
rwkrafts.com

Helen F. said...

Oh Woweee, Barb! Your journal is coming along beautifully! Love how you are "letting go" and using such unique techniques :)

Sandy said...

Your journal pages are gorgeous!
sandy

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Love the dimension you created on this page, Barb! Great colors too and the doodling looks fab!!

alexandra s.m. said...

What a gorgeous double page barb!
Love it!
TFS~

stamplover2011 said...

Awesome job, Barb! Wonderful pages!

LauraJane:) said...

Great job doodling around the pink raised circles to create tiny flowers. Very effective:)
You are getting comfortable with this art journaling aren't you!
Sorry I missed your grey/pop of color challenge...These days are so busy. I will still try making something first chance I have.

Rosemary said...

gorgeous art journal pages, barb! love the soft pretty colors and the doodling!

Martha said...

WOW...WOW...WOW...OH MY...Barb!
This is just simply FABULOUS, BEAUTIFUL, GORGEOUS, FANTASTIC!!! I really LOVE it!!! Every detail is lovely & perfect! The black really makes it POP! Your mojo is on fire! Beautifully done!

HUGS!

Maureen Morton said...

Wow, my friend! Your talents keep growing as you pop out of that box! This is spectacular - all those great layers of white and color! Amazing!

donna mikasa said...

So dreamy and ethereal! And so very inspiring!

Jacqueline said...

Wow, I missed this one, it's stunning!